Call for Papers
invite proposals for an international conference on
Jews in Colonial and Postcolonial Africa
to take place at the University of Cape Town on August 22-24, 2016 (18-20 Av, 5776)
Research into the experience of Jews in Africa has traditionally been divided by geographic region and national boundary. This conference seeks, for the first time, to address the Jewish experience on the continent as a whole in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. The organizers welcome proposals for papers and panels on all topics relating to Jews in Africa during this period, but we particularly welcome proposals that address the following themes:
- Orientalism and African Jews
- Encounters with colonial rule and varieties of colonial experience
- Migration, trade, and exchange
- Religious and cultural expression.
- Varieties of Jewish social organization
- The Jews in postcolonial Africa
- African Jews and the Land of Israel
Papers may focus on a specific context or supply a comparative perspective. All submissions must include a one-page abstract (250 words in English or Hebrew), a short bio, and contact information.
Final date for proposal submission is Tuesday, April 30, 2016 (22 Nisan, 5776).
Proposals/abstracts should be sent to: email@example.com
Dahan Center, Bar-Ilan University, Ramat Gan 5290002 ISRAEL
A selection of the papers presented at the conference will be published, following academic review.
Papers may be presented at the conference in either English or Hebrew.
We look forward to seeing you among the Conference participants.
For the Conference Organizing Committee:
- Prof. Adam Mendelsohn – Chairman, Prof. Yaron Harel – Chairman,
- Prof. Yaron Tsur, Prof. Shimon Sharvit, Dr. Shimon Ohayon, Prof. Milton Shain